The essence of Culture - All-inclusive Sri Lanka 4 days tour
Encounter ancient Historical monuments, Temples, and laid-back villages on this Sri Lanka 4-day adventure through Sri Lanka cultural triangle.
Cover the entire circuit of Sri Lanka's cultural triangle, 5 UNESCO world heritage sites, hundreds of historical marvels, and 5 cultural cities within 4 days. Visit the Anuradhapura ancient city, the Golden Temple of Dambulla, the ancient city of Polonnaruwa, the Aukana Buddha statue, Mihintale (the cradle of Buddhism in Sri Lanka), Sigiriya Rock Fortress and see the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic (Sri Dalada Maligawa) — all covered within 4 days. Your comprehensive cultural tour itinerary includes a Jeep safari at Minneriya national park, a spice/herbal garden, Sri Lanka hill country, a Pinnawala elephant orphanage, a jungle trek, tuk-tuk transport, and an ox-cart ride in a rural village and many more. Includes either standard, 3-star or 4-star accommodation with daily breakfast and dinner.
Start: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Finish: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Ages: Min 15
Group size: Min 2
Nature of tour: Private
- Visit the world's 3rd tallest ancient building (after pyramids) and the tallest Buddhist stupa built in the 2nd century.
- Proposed 8th world wonder, one of the oldest landscaped gardens in the world, dates back to the 5th century.
- Visit Dambulla, a sacred pilgrimage site for 22 centuries with 157 Buddha statues, paintings (with a surface of 2100 m2).
- The Avukana statue (5th Century), 14m, is one of the best examples of Buddha statues from ancient Sri Lanka.
- Visit Mihintale ancient Ayurveda hospital- perhaps the oldest hospital in the world according to Historia Hospitalium 1975-Heinz E Müller-Dietz.
- Go bicycling, ride a tuk-tuk and take an ox-cart ride while exploring a rural village on a village tour.
- Attend the evening ceremony of the Tooth relic temple with your guide
- Kandy walking, sightseeing tour and shopping.
- Visiting Kandyan cultural show and witnessing the acrobatic performance of Sri Lankan dancers and listening to the soothing music of musicians.
- Take a 360-degree panoramic view from the summit of the Sigiriya rock fortress.
- Walking through the Spice/herbal garden while learning about herbal trees and plants and spices.
- Walk in the Tea plantations and Royal Botanic Gardens of Peradeniya, Victoria Park and many more.
- Minneriya safari park in search of wild elephants, crocodiles and other wild creatures with a local guide and driver.
- Attend the Tooth relic temple evening ceremony with your guide
Is this trip right for you?
- The entire trip is private (transfers and sightseeing).
- This 4 days Sri Lanka trip packs a lot in. It’s one of the most popular 4 days tours to Sri Lanka, we run in our Original style, perfect for those, who look for a short Sri Lanka trip and a desire to do the most within 4 days. If you are after a more leisurely trip in Sri Lanka or a shorter trip please check our other tour itineraries.
- Sri Lanka can get extremely hot in the summer. While we aim to do our walking tours, city tours early in the morning or afternoon, when it’s cooler, remember to keep a bottle of drinking water and bring a hat, sunscreen, a long-sleeved shirt, and anything else that will protect you from the sun.
- Part of travelling with Seerendipity means respecting local cultures and sensibilities. That way you get the most out of your interactions with local people and environments. We visit a number of temples on this trip and to enter them you must have clothes descent clothing. Same time you have to remove the head covers and shoes upon entering the temple. Please click here to know more about the rules and regulations pertaining to Sri Lanka temple visits.
This tour can be booked with 4 types of accommodation standard, 3-Star, 4-Star, and 5-Star hotels, If you need any other category of hotels please enquire. Choose a suitable category of the hotel for your trip. The hotel category makes a big difference in your package price.
- 3 nights accommodation in the chosen category of "Safe&secure certified" tourist hotels with daily breakfast and dinner
- Transport by air-conditioned private car or van with English speaking driver/guide (please enquire about other languages).
- Private guided walking cultural tour of Sigiriya rock fortress.
- Private guided temple tour of Tooth relic temple, Dambulla golden temple, and Gangarama temple, Mihintale, Aukana.
- Guided hop-on hop-off Polonnaruwa ancient city tour and Anuradhapura ancient city tour.
- All-inclusive Minneriya safari tour.
- Walking tour of Peradeniya garden and spice/herbal garden.
- Entrance fees for the below sites,
- Anuradhapura ancient city
- Aukana temple and Buddha statue
- Sigiriya rock fortress, museum
- Dambulla cave temple
- Polonnaruwa historical city, museum
- Safari at Minneriya national park
- Royal botanical garden
- Aukana Buddha statue
- Kandy tooth relic temple
- Pinnawala elephant orphanage
- Spice/herbal garden
- Tea factory, tea garden
- Kandyan cultural show with gem museum
- Kandy city tour
- Gangarama temple
- Independent square
- All current taxes
- Tips & Gratuities.
The tour can be booked mainly in English, German, French, Arabic, Russian, and Chinese please inquire about other languages.
Cancel 24 hours prior to arrival for a full refund
Choose your payment method
We offer you mainly three payment options card payments, bank transfers or payment on arrival. You can choose whatever is the most convenient payment option for you. If you opt for payment on arrival we will collect a 10% advance payment from you as a guarantee, once the booking is confirmed.
Book now & pay later
Reserve your tour now and pay when you meet us. Send us the duly filled tour booking form, and we will arrange your tour you can make the payment as you meet us on the first day of the trip.
COVID-19 Special information
- All customer touchpoints are frequently cleaned
- Social distancing is maintained in vehicles
- To reduce crowds, all tours are private
- Masks are required, please bring your own
- You must fill out a travel information form
- Temperature checks are mandatory
- You must book this activity online, as the ticket office is closed
The trip can be booked with a single room for the entire trip with a single supplement (please inquire about your chosen category of the hotel)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended for this tour
- All visitors to Buddhist and Hindu temples are expected to remove footwear and hats upon entering the temples.
- The duration of transfers is approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- Infants must sit on laps
- Travellers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity.
- You can reach us 24 hours a day through our hotline at 0094-77-4440977
The essence of Culture - All-inclusive Sri Lanka 4 days tour
Time : 7:00 am
Colombo / Anuradhapura / Sigiriya
Meet and greet by Seerendipity tours representative and leave for Sigiriya, En-route visit Anuradhapura.
Anuradhapura city tour
There are eight significant icons that represent Sri Lanka’s connection to Buddhism, and all of them are situated in Anuradhapura, thus calling this collection “Atamasthanaya,” meaning “eight sacred places.” There is a unique story or history connected to each one of them. Most of them were built by kings that ruled the Anuradhapura Kingdom. You will visit all these places on our hop-on hop-off Anuradhapura City Tour.
• Ruwanwelisaya-It is a “stupa” that is built by King Dutugamunu and is one of the biggest completed ones to date.
• Thuparamaya-It is the oldest ‘dagoba’ in Sri Lanka, and possibly the oldest visible one in the world.
• Lovamahapaya-The significance of this building is that the roof was once covered in bronze tiles.
• Abhayagiri-It is one of the biggest viharas in Anuradhapura. It was a monastery of 5000 monks.
• Jethavanaramaya-It is a sacred world heritage site and accommodated some 3000 monks at the time. It is also quite similar to Abhayagiri.
• Mirisavetiya-This stupa was built by King Dutugamunu after defeating King Elara.
• Lankaramaya-This is also built by a king called King Valagamba in the Anuradhapura Kingdom times and is one of the eight sacred places in the city.
Aukana Buddha statue
The Avukana statue is considered to be one of the best examples of a standing statue of the Buddha from ancient Sri Lanka. The Avukana statue is a standing statue of the Buddha near Kekirawa in North Central Sri Lanka. The statue, which has a height of more than 46 feet (14 m), was carved out of a large granite rock face during the 5th century. It depicts a variation of the Abhaya mudra, and the closely worn robe is elaborately carved. Constructed during the reign of Dhatusena, it may have been made as a result of a competition between a master and a pupil. The Avukana statue is one of the best examples of a standing statue built in Sri Lanka. It is now a popular tourist attraction.
Mihintale is a mountain peak near Anuradhapura. It is one of the oldest religious sites in the world dating back to the 2nd century BC. King Devanampiyatissa built it. Temple is now a pilgrimage site and the site of many important religious monuments and abandoned structures such as an Ayurveda hospital.
Heinz E Müller-Dietz (Historia Hospitalium 1975) describes the hospital of Mihintale as being perhaps the oldest in the world.
Anuradhapura historical city tour, Aukana Buddha statues, Mihintale
Hotel in Sigiriya
Time : 7:30 am
Sigiriya / Polonnaruwa / Sigiriya
After breakfast leave for Polonnaruwa ancient city, en-route,
Stop At: Polonnaruwa Sri Lanka
Polonnaruwa is the second most historical city in Sri Lanka. It was made the capital of Sri Lanka after Anuradhapura. The ruins in Anuradhapura are much older than the ruins in Polonnaruwa, therefore the ruins in Polonnaruwa are in much better condition than the ruins in Anuradhapura. On your hop-on hop-off city tour you will be visiting palaces, dagobas, and temples, which provide a good example of Sri Lankan historical craftsmanship. In this 3-hour guided tour of the Ancient city of Polonnaruwa, you will cover some of the following attractions;
• Royal Palace (Palace of King Parakramabahu, the most prolific and gifted builder of the era)
• Nissankamulla Palace (Royal audience hall with impressive stonework)
• Gal Viharaya (Contains some of the best rock sculptures in the country)
• Thuparama & Lankathilaka Image Houses (Good examples of vaulted shrine rooms)
• Vatadage (Gives an idea of what a complete vatadage may have looked like)
• Rankoth Vehera (Largest stupa in Polonnaruwa)
• Parakramabahu Statue (Statue of one of the greatest kings of ancient Sri Lanka)
Stop At: Ancient Sigiriya rock fortress
Sigiriya is located in the central Matale District near the town of Dambulla of the Central Province, Sri Lanka. The name refers to a site of historical and archaeological significance that is dominated by a massive column of rock nearly 200 meters (660 ft) high. According to the ancient Sri Lankan chronicle the Culavamsa the site was selected by King Kasyapa (477 – 495 CE) for his new capital. He built his palace on the top of this rock and decorated its sides with colourful frescoes. On a small plateau about halfway up the side of this rock, he built a gateway in the form of an enormous lion. The name of this place is derived from this structure —Sīhāgiri, the Lion Rock. The capital and the royal palace were abandoned after the king's death. It was used as a Buddhist monastery until the 14th century.
Uttarama rock temple
The Uttararama is a rock temple of the Buddha situated in the ancient city of Polonnaruwa, It was fashioned in the 12th century by Parakramabahu I. The central feature of the temple is four rock relief statues of the Buddha, which have been carved into the face of a large granitic (granite gneiss) rock. The images consist of a large seated figure, another smaller seated figure inside an artificial cavern, a standing figure and a reclining figure. These are considered to be some of the best examples of ancient Sinhalese sculpting and carving arts and have made the Gal Vihara the most visited monument at Polonnaruwa.
Safari of Minneriya national park
Get a thrilling look at the elephants of Minneriya National Park during this 3-hour private Jeep safari. Travel to a wilderness refuge known for hosting one of the largest gatherings of Asian elephants on earth (each June through September), observing these giant creatures as they drink, feed, and congregate.
This activity will include a Safari tour by jeep with a jungle tracker, where you can see animals in the Jungle, including elephants, Bears, Wild boar, Dear, Buffalo, Monkeys and many other animals if you are lucky, leopards too. Return to Habarana.
Visiting Sigiriya rock, Polonnaruwa ancient city, museum, Minneriya national park safari
Breakfast and Dinner included
Standard hotel in Sigiriya
Time : 8:00 am
Sigiriya / Kandy
Breakfast at the hotel and leave for Kandy, en-route visit Dambulla golden temple, Matale aluvihara temple and spice garden, In the evening visit the tooth relic temple (ceremony).
Stop At: Dambulla Cave Temple
Dating back to the 1st Century BC, this is the most impressive cave temple in Sri Lanka. It has five caves under an overhanging rock, carved with a drip line to keep the interiors dry. Inside the caves, the ceilings are painted with religious images as well as various gods and goddesses. There are images of the Buddha and the bodhisattvas. The temple has several caves which have been converted into shrine rooms. The caves were built at the base of a 150m high rock during the period of the Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa kingdoms.
The famous Dambulla Cave Temple is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The Dambulla cave monastery remains the best-preserved ancient edifice in Sri Lanka.
Temple of the tooth relic(1 hour)
Sri Dalada Maligawa (Sinhala) or The Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic is a Buddhist temple in the city of Kandy, Sri Lanka. It is located in the royal palace complex which houses the Relic of the tooth Buddha. Since ancient times, the relic has played an important role in local politics because it is believed that whoever holds the relic holds the governance of the country. Kandy was the last capital of the Sinhalese kings and is a world heritage site partly due to the temple.
Kandyan cultural show (1 hour)
The Cultural Dance Show. Sri Lanka's culture is so closely connected to dance and drama and no function will be complete without displaying a dance or even a drama. As a multi-ethnic land, Sri Lanka boasts of a rich conflux of dance and drama. The two main ethnic groups share two spectacular dance and drama traditions which enrich the fame Sri Lanka has gained in this sphere.
The Kandy National Museum opened in 1942 is located next to the sacred Temple of the Tooth and is housed in a section of the Royal Palace where the King’s concubines resided. This museum has over 5000 objects on display and among the most impressive exhibits are king Sri Wickrama Rajasinghe II's golden crown and a copy of the 1815 treaty known as the ‘Kandyan Convention’ by which on March 2, 1815, Ceylon ceded to the British ending 2,357 years of monarchy.
Arts and crafts centre
Arts and crafts are an integral part of Sri Lanka’s ancient cultural heritage. Traditional Sri Lankan crafts are vital industries in many parts of the island that include wood carving, mask making, drum making, mat weaving, handlooms, lac-work, rush and read products etc.
The royal palace
The last king to reside in the Royal Palace was King Sri Wickrama Rajasinhe until he was overthrown by the British in 1815 with the aid of Kandyan chieftains. Once part of a large palace complex that included the Raja Wasala, (King’s Palace), Magul Maduwa (Royal Audience Hall), Meda Wasala (Queens’ Palace), Palle Wasala (King’s Harem Quarters) and Ulpange (Queen’s Bathing Pavilion), together with the Temple of the Tooth.
Royal audience hall
The ‘Magul Maduwa’, a finely carved masterpiece in timber is where the king met his ministers and carried out his daily administrative tasks. Many historic events have taken place at this location and it was here that the British handed over the death sentence to the Sri Lankan national heroes Keppatipola Disave and Madugalle Disave. A replica of the Royal Audience hall of Kandy was constructed in granite in Colombo in 1948 to commemorate Sri Lanka’s Independence from the British.
Kandy city walk
Your Kandy city walk starts near Kandy Lake. Your guide leads you to the picturesque and important corners of the city such as Kandy Lake, Kandy fish market, vegetable market, clock tower area, and Bazar area. The walking tour lasts about 1 hour.
CITY and SHOPPING (optional)
The City Tour will include places of Tourist interest such as Kandy lake, a Historical church, the Buddhist Hindu Temple, the Batik factory
Dambulla golden temple, Kandy city tour, Visiting spice/herbal garden, the temple of the tooth relic, museum, Kandyan cultural show
Breakfast and Dinner included
Standard hotel in Kandy
Time : 9:00 am
Kandy / Colombo
Breakfast at the hotel and leave for Colombo, en-route Kandy sightseeing tour,
Peradeniya botanical garden
Peradeniya botanical garden is the most popular botanical garden on the island with many thousands of years of history. Today it is visited by thousands of visitors every day and it harbours more than 4000 plants, trees, veins, dendrobiums and much other flora.
You will be visiting a tea plantation after the Botanical garden. The tea plantation is situated in the mawanella just a few kilometres from the main road. You will witness the tea manufacturing process in the tea factory and taste cups of unblended Ceylon in the tea centre.
Pinnawala elephant orphanage
The first orphanage dedicated to jumbos started in 1975. Spreads over 9 hectares near the river of Kumbukan Oya, which is the bathing spot for elephants. You will be guided to the bathing spot as the elephant baths, play, and enjoy the water.
Visiting Peradeniyagarden, Tea estate/Tea factory, Pinnawala elephant orpahnage.
No accommodation today
.........................End of the tour........................