Sri Lanka Cultural Triangle Mini Tour-3 Days Private Tour Encounter ancient temples, untamed wilderness, beautiful botanical gardens, picturesque hill country, and memorable cultural…
All-Inclusive Sri Lanka Cultural Triangle Tour-3 Days Private Tour
Encounter ancient temples, untamed wilderness, beautiful botanical gardens, picturesque hill country, and memorable cultural shows.
Trace the famous Cultural Triangle of Sri Lanka on this rollicking 3-day tour of Colombo, Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Sigiriya, Kandy, and Dambulla as well as part of Sri Lanka's hill country. Explore the icons and discover local spots in the perfect introduction to the diverse cultural triangle of Sri Lanka. Begin in throbbing Colombo and explore the cultural triangle by walking and driving. Travel to the ancient wonder of Sigiriya rock fortress, Polonnaruwa ancient city, Anuradhapura, Golden temple Dambulla, Tooth temple Kandy, Aukana Buddha statue, Gal vihara and many other UNESCO world heritage sites as well as the Minneriya national park adjacent to the cultural triangle Sri Lanka that is teeming with elephants, buffaloes, bear, crocodile and many other wild creatures.
This 3-day tour offers the perfect introduction for first-time visitors to Sri Lanka. The trip includes round-trip private transport from Bandaranaike International Airport or your hotel in Colombo, Mount Lavinia, Negombo, or any other beach resort on the west coast.
Start: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Finish: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Group size: Min 1 person
Nature of tour: Private
Why you'll love this trip
- Visit the world's 3rd tallest ancient building (after pyramids) and the tallest Buddhist stupa built in the 2nd century AD.
- Proposed 8th world wonder, one of the oldest landscaped gardens in the world, dates back to the 5th century AD.
- Visit Dambulla, a sacred pilgrimage site for 22 centuries with 157 Buddha statues, paintings (with a surface of 2100 m2).
- Visit the Avukana statue (5th Century), 14m, which is one of the best examples of Buddha statues from ancient Sri Lanka.
- The hassle-free private trip includes all necessary components of the trip such as accommodation, meals, transportation, guiding, taxes and Seerendipity takes care of all of it.
- Trekking through the tea garden / Ceylon tea trail.
- Experience the character of Sri Lanka's cultural triangle on a hop-on hop-off tour, weaving through the narrow alleyways and exploring ancient temples, palaces, statues, parks, lakes, and forts.
- Take a break from bustling cities in the hill country resort of Kandy, where you can catch your breath and spend the night in the faded opulence of your heritage stay.
- This trip is perfect for people who like to get the most on a 3 days trip to Sri Lanka, as long travel days are kept to a minimum on an itinerary that hits several icons of central Sri Lanka.
- 24-hour assistance on the ground via Phone/WhatsApp (0094-77-440977) and Email [email protected].
Is this trip right for you?
- This compact trip packs a lot in. It’s one of the most popular Sri Lanka trips we run in our original style, perfect for those with little time and a desire to do the most with it. If you are after a more leisurely trip or an adventure trip, please browse our tour itinerary page.
- In Sri Lanka, it can be extremely hot in the summer. While we organize our walking tours and city tours early in the morning or evening, when it’s cooler, remember to keep water on you and to bring a hat, sunscreen, a long-sleeved shirt, and anything else that will protect you from the sun.
- Part of travelling with Seerendipity means respecting local cultures and sensibilities. That way you get the most out of your interactions with local people and environments. We visited a number of temples on this trip and to enter them you must have clothes that cover your wrists and below the knee. Please click here to know more about the rules and regulations pertaining to Sri Lanka temple visits.
- Touring Sri Lanka's cultural triangle, find out the rich historical past of Sri Lanka.
- Kandy sightseeing tour and visiting downtown Kandy.
- Witness Kandyan cultural show to experience a typical Sri Lankan dancing and musical performance.
- Take a 360-degree panoramic view from the summit of the Sigiriya rock fortress.
- Walking through the Spice Garden while learning about herbal trees, plants, and spices (this will be an easy walk that lasts about 1 hour).
- Walk in the Tea plantations and Royal Botanic Gardens of Peradeniya and many more (The walk in the botanical; garden lasts around 1 hour and you will cover about 2 km).
- Visiting a tea factory (Scottish) and seeing the entire process of tea manufacturing and tasting a cup of unblended Ceylon tea.
- Wildlife safari of Minneriya national park in search of leopards, wild elephants, crocodiles, bears, jackals, and other wild creatures with a local guide and driver.
This tour can be booked with 3-star, 4-star hotels, or 5-star standard categories of hotels.
- 2 nights (3 days) of accommodation in standard hotels
- Daily Breakfast at the hotel, 2 breakfasts (starting from day 2)
- Daily dinner at the hotel, 2 dinners (starting from day 1)
- Kandy city tour and shopping tour
- Entrance fees for
- Anuradhapura ancient city
- Sigiriya rock fortress, Sigiriya paintings, Sigiriya museum
- Aukana temple and Buddha statue
- Dambulla golden cave temple
- Polonnaruwa historical city and historical museum
- Tooth relic temple and Kandy museum
- Kandyan cultural show
- Spice garden with a serving of herbal drink
- Tea factory and tea tasting
- Pickup and drop-off at the airport or local hotels
- All passengers are fully insured during the sightseeing tours
- Meeting arrangement at the airport
- Entire ground transportation by air-conditioned, modern, fuel-efficient private vehicle
- Service of an English-speaking driver/guide for the entire tour (please inquire about other languages)
- All current taxes
- The expenses of personal nature such as telephone, Internet
- Minneriya national park safari
- Peradeniya botanical garden
Cancel 24 hours prior to arrival for a full refund
Choose your payment method
We offer you mainly three payment options card payments, bank transfers or payment on arrival. You can choose whatever is the most convenient payment option for you. If you opt for payment on arrival we will collect a 10% advance payment from you as a guarantee, once the booking is confirmed.
Book now & pay later
Reserve your tour now and pay later. Send us the duly filled tour booking form, we will arrange your tour you can make the payment as you meet us on the first day of the trip.
The trip can be booked with a single room for the entire trip with a single supplement (please inquire about your chosen category of the hotel)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- The child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- The duration of transfers is approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats are available
- This is a private tour/activity.
- You can reach us 24 hours a day through our hotline at 0094-77-4440977
Colombo / Anuradhapura / Sigiriya
You will be met and warmly greeted by your personal chauffeur guide at the Bandaranaike International Colombo Airport or your hotel in Colombo and drive to Sigiriya (Approx. 5 hours drive), En-route stop at Anuradhapura.
Anuradhapura with the recent excavations, the history goes back to the 8th C.BC. Or 2800 BP. However, legends take history more than 3000-5000 years. (Ramayana is one of them) at that time there were 04 tribes living in Sri Lanka. Kingdom lasted one thousand and five hundred years from 380BC. This city is home to many of the earliest and grandest monuments of Sri Lanka. A popular destination for the Sinhalese Buddhist pilgrimage because of its many ancient Buddhist monuments.
Anuradhapura ancient city tour
There are eight significant icons that represent Sri Lanka’s connection to Buddhism, and all of them are situated in Anuradhapura, thus calling this collection “Atamasthanaya,” meaning “eight sacred places.” There is a unique story or history connected to each one of them. Most of them were built by kings that ruled the Anuradhapura Kingdom. You will visit all these places on our hop-on hop-off Anuradhapura City Tour.
• Ruwanwelisaya-It is a “stupa” that is built by King Dutugamunu and is one of the biggest completed ones to date.
• Thuparamaya-It is the oldest ‘dagoba’ in Sri Lanka, and possibly the oldest visible one in the world.
• Lovamahapaya-The significance of this building is that the roof was once covered in bronze tiles.
• Abhayagiri-It is one of the biggest viharas in Anuradhapura. It was a monastery of 5000 monks.
• Jethavanaramaya-It is a sacred world heritage site and accommodated some 3000 monks at the time. It is also quite similar to Abhayagiri.
• Mirisavetiya-This stupa was built by King Dutugamunu after defeating King Elara.
• Lankaramaya-This is also built by a king called King Valagamba in the Anuradhapura Kingdom times and is one of the eight sacred places in the city.
Aukana Buddha Statue
The Avukana statue is considered to be one of the best examples of a standing statue of the Buddha from ancient Sri Lanka. The Avukana statue is a standing statue of the Buddha near Kekirawa in North Central Sri Lanka. The statue, which has a height of more than 46 feet (14 m), was carved out of a large granite rock face during the 5th century. It depicts a variation of the Abhaya mudra, and the closely worn robe is elaborately carved. Constructed during the reign of Dhatusena, it may have been made as a result of a competition between a master and a pupil. The Avukana statue is one of the best examples of a standing statue built in Sri Lanka. It is now a popular tourist attraction.
In the afternoon safari at Minneriya national park (optional). Minneriya is a popular wildlife reserve that attracts a large number of travellers.
Get a thrilling look at the elephants of Minneriya National Park during this 3-hour private Jeep safari. Travel to a wilderness refuge known for hosting one of the largest gatherings of Asian elephants on earth (each June through September), observing these giant creatures as they drink, feed, and congregate.
This activity will include a Safari tour by jeep with a jungle tracker, where you can see animals in the Jungle, including elephants, Bears, Wild boars, Dear, Buffalo, Monkeys and many other animals if you are lucky, leopards too. Return to Habarana.
Activities planned for today
Hop-on hop-off Anuradhapura city tour and Minneriya wildlife tour, Aukana Buddha statue.
Hotel in Sigiriya / Dambulla
Dinner included at the hotel
Sigiriya / Polonnaruwa / Sigiriya
After breakfast leave for a sightseeing tour of Sigiriya and Polonnaruwa, Stop At the Ancient City of Sigiriya, Sigiriya Site between the towns of Dambulla and Habarane
Sigiriya: duration 3 hours
Morning: Climb the famous Sigiriya rock fortress and visit rocky abode and water gardens, a UNESCO world heritage and one of the Wonders of the World).
Sigiriya is located in the central Matale District near the town of Dambulla of the Central Province, Sri Lanka. The name refers to a site of historical and archaeological significance that is dominated by a massive column of rock nearly 200 meters (660 ft) high. According to the ancient Sri Lankan chronicle the Culavamsa the site was selected by King Kasyapa (477 – 495 CE) for his new capital. He built his palace on the top of this rock and decorated its sides with colourful frescoes. On a small plateau about halfway up the side of this rock, he built a gateway in the form of an enormous lion. The name of this place is derived from this structure —Sīhāgiri, the Lion Rock. The capital and the royal palace were abandoned after the king's death. It was used as a Buddhist monastery until the 14th century.
Polonnaruwa is the second most historical city in Sri Lanka. It was made the capital of Sri Lanka after Anuradhapura. The second most ancient of Sri Lanka's kingdoms, Polonnaruwa was first declared the capital city by King Vijayabahu I, who defeated the Chola invaders in 1070 to reunite the country once more under a local leader.
Today the ancient city of Polonnaruwa remains one of the best-planned archaeological relic sites in the country, standing testimony to the discipline and greatness of the Kingdom's first rulers. Its beauty was also used as a backdrop to film scenes for the Duran Duran music video Save a Prayer in 1982. The ancient city of Polonnaruwa has been declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO.
The city tour includes palaces, dagobas, and temples, and provides a good example of Sri Lankan historical craftsmanship. In this 3-hour guided tour of the Ancient city of Polonnaruwa, you will cover some of the following attractions;
• Royal Palace (Palace of King Parakramabahu, the most prolific and gifted builder of the era)
• Nissankamulla Palace (Royal audience hall with impressive stonework)
• Gal Viharaya (Contains some of the best rock sculptures in the country)
• Thuparama & Lankathilaka Image Houses (Good examples of vaulted shrine rooms)
• Vatadage (Gives an idea of what a complete vatadage may have looked like)
• Rankoth Vehera (Largest stupa in Polonnaruwa)
• Parakramabahu Statue (Statue of one of the greatest kings of ancient Sri Lanka)
Activities planned for today
cultural tour of Sigiriya rock fortress, the historical city of Polonnaruwa
Hotel in Sigiriya/Da,mbulla
Breakfast and Dinner at the hotel
Sigiriya / Dambulla / Kandy / Colombo
After breakfast leave for Colombo via Kandy, En route, Stop At Dambulla Cave Temple, spice/herbal garden and Kandy sightseeing tour.
Dambulla Cave Temple
Dating back to the 1st Century BC, this is the most impressive cave temple in Sri Lanka. It has five caves under an overhanging rock, carved with a drip line to keep the interiors dry. Inside the caves, the ceilings are painted with religious images as well as various gods and goddesses. There are images of the Buddha and the bodhisattvas. The temple has several caves which have been converted into shrine rooms. The caves were built at the base of a 150m high rock during the period of the Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa kingdoms. The famous Dambulla Cave Temple is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The Dambulla cave monastery remains the best-preserved ancient edifice in Sri Lanka.
You will do the city tour of Kandy including a visit to the temple of the sacred tooth relic, and the Peradeniya botanical garden.
Later visit Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic
Sri Dalada Maligawa or the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic is a Buddhist temple in the city of Kandy, Sri Lanka. It is located in the royal palace complex of the former Kingdom of Kandy, which houses the relic of the tooth Buddha. Since ancient times, the relic has played an important role in local politics because it is believed that whoever holds the relic holds the governance of the country. Kandy was the last capital of the Sri Lankan kings and is a UNESCO world heritage site partly due to the temple.
Royal Botanical Gardens
The Botanical Garden of Peradeniya was a pleasure garden of a Kandyan King of the 16th Century and was later made into a Botanical Garden during the British regime. This garden; one of the best in Asia is a place of beauty and a site for bird watchers.
Activites for the day
Visiting Dambulla golden temple, Spice/herbal garden, Tooth relic temple, Peradeniya botanical agrden
No accommodation is planned for today
End of the tour